June 02, 2022
It seems very simple. Let's check this example:
Is it that simple? Is it correct?
No, this calculation is not correct. Let’s see why:
Yes, 22 g is 10% of 220 g, but it is not 10% of the wax weight, which is what you need.
It's 10% of the final wax combo + fragrance
220 g of combo wax + fragrance, minus 22 g fragrance, gives a total wax of 198 g.
But if the wax has the weight of 198 g then 10% fragrance of this wax will be 19.8 g and not 22 g. It has 2.2 g more fragrance.
It means that the initial calculation has 11.1% fragrance load which exceeds the 10% recommended by the manufacturer of this wax.
If you continue to work this way, you will overload the wax with fragrance.
What are the problems if the wax is overloaded with fragrance?
We recommend that candle manufacturers use a 6-8% fragrance percentage for their candles at the beginning of testing, unless it is a really light oil. That will help prevent the wick from becoming clogged and avoid performance issues such as those listed above.
Therefore, it is important to know the concepts "Fragrance/Scent Load" and "Fragrance/Scent Content", and what it really means each of these concepts:
For a correct calculation, take into mind the two methods:
Fragrance Load = You must consider this value as you know the maximum value you can use with your wax
Fragrance Content = You must consider this value to comply with the CLP
10% Fragrance Load on a 220g candle = 9.09% Fragrance Content (which means I can use the manufacturer's 10% CLP reference values)
The fragrance ratio may also affect the percentage used in the CLP (classification, labelling and packaging or in the original Classification, Labelling and Packaging). It is an EU legal requirement that must be met with regard to dangerous goods.
Before June 2015, candle manufacturers only had to consider the % fragrance ratio when crafting their products. However, since CLP regulations came into force in June 2015, there hasbeen some confusion, which has led candle makers to generally talk about "the percentage of fragrance" in their products.
It is important to understand that the % of the fragrance in the candle + fragrance combo and the % given in the Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) (and therefore the percentage of fragrance used to create the CLP models) are not calculated in the same way.
Andin terms of PLC the percentage of fragrance is based on the load/amount of fragrance in the total weight of the product. Thus, when 10% is given as the calculated amount for the SDS/CLP this means that 10% of the total weight of the product comes from the fragrance and the other 90% comes from "other substances" such as wax, wick, dyes...
When a candle maker uses (e.g. 20g fragrance for 200g wax, this gives a real fragrance percentage content of 10% in the fragrance combo + wax
The total percentage of fragrance, considered for CLP purposes, is actually 20g at 220g (because 220g is the total weight of the product ((i.e. 20g + 200g)) which gives a CLP percentage of 9.09%.
For most candle manufacturers, who buyf ragrance from a supplier that also supplies the CLP model, it is advisable to double-check the % of fragrância and the amount of fragrance they use for CLP purposes, to ensure that it is fully compliant (i.e. they have not accidentally used more fragrance in their products than the CLP model allows).
As a rule, always make the comparison of the weight of the fragrance calculated for our combo candle + fragrance and the amount stipulated in the PLC provided by the distributor/supplier of fragrances. Our value may not be higher than that stipulated by the manufacturer.
If you create your own mixtures and/or have SDS/CLP information created (because you use an oil for which the supplier has not supplied the CLP model) then it is vital that any percentages you provide to your CLP consultant are based on the actual amount of fragrance on the total weight of the product and NOT on the calculation of the fragrance percentage on the base/wax.
Now that you are more familiar with the correct amout of oil fragrance to use, go and explore our fragrances and our waxes. 🧴
Comments will be approved before showing up.
March 20, 2023
February 17, 2023
June 09, 2022
This text help you to understand how the wax and fragrance oil interact, tips and tricks how to achieve the best result from your candle.
We sell to General Public & Companies
If you own a company that operates outside of Portugal and you want the application of VAT exemption please register as a customer, before making any purchase, send us an email to email@example.com, with the name of the company and the VAT number you registered, so we can validate the VAT number and apply the exemption.